Today I question who I am as an artist vs. who I want to be. My head is cleaved with ideas I want to pursue and my shoulders weighed down in reality. There are a few things that I know to be true:
- I get inspiration from literally everywhere. I want to capture the world with my eyes and hands.
- I cannot create everything.
- Yet I keep harvesting new inspirations from artists, my environment, online
- In the future I will have limited space for creating works and storing them.
- I get bored working in the same medium, I like to explore. I am compelled to.
- I forget myself and try to make work that will please the world. When I do this I usually fail.
- I am not a photographer, but I like to take digital photos.
- I pay attention to textures.
- I’m drawn to expressive works, but my work is highly controlled and representational.
- Today I focus on wildlife in my work, but in the past I created emotional biographical works.
Media I have worked in:
- Digital photography
- Acrylic Painting
- Oil painting
- Alcohol ink
- Up-cycled wood boxes
- Found beach objects: flotsam mobile type works
- Acrylic and alcohol ink on up-cycled windows/ canvas/ mixed-media
- Block printing
Themes that interest me
- Places people leave behind
- Death and our relationship to it
- Patterns in nature
- Wabi Sabi
What I want:
- Harvest new experiences and work them into a new body of work
- Document the metamorphosis
- Use media creatively, wisely and expressively
- Narrow down my media choices
- Find myself as an artist
- Create fine art, but still have it accessible to a wide range of people.
I am overwhelmed by all the possible ways I could make art. My brain is drowning in ideas and I am paralyzed by choices. The more cerebral I get about the task at hand the more paralyzed and indecisive I am.
Who am I? And what is my art about?