100 Day Project: Week 8

100 Day Project, Projects

Day 50: March 11

A little color study. Not the sexiest work, but the best way to systematically understand the colors. And of course I had way too much paint left over… so more of those spare paint types of pieces will probably be in the works.

Color study.
Spare Paint Color Study.

Day 51: March 12

I also worked yesterday on some texture studies. Which I continued this morning. What a frustrating challenge to get things to stay in place. Today I white washed the pieces to make the textures pop out. To be continued.

Work in progress. Pine Needles and Linen.

Day 52: March 13

Lines. Lines. More lines. Struggling to find some new insightful thoughts to regurgitate here.

Day 53: March 14

Is this mid-project exhaustion? 53 is so many days.

Day 54: March 15

I about ruined a piece this morning. Added spare paint to it to cover areas I didn’t like. Then it got out of control. So I washed it all off. I like the way the lines look worn now from being under water.

Covid-19…

Detail.

Day 55: March 16

In the spirit of exploring textures and with the inability to find supplies on the road, I worked plies of toilet paper onto a piece last night with paint and added lines to it today. Can’t find hand sanitizer either. It’s going to be a long road home. I don’t know what further measures will be taken to slow the spread of this virus and I hope we don’t get caught up in it on the road.

Day 56: March 17

That didn’t go as planned. Again. Tuesday’s never seem to be a good day for one reason or another to lay the art out for documentation.

Days 56/100.
In progress.

100 Day Project: Week 5

100 Day Project, Projects

Day 29: February 19

Yesterday afternoon through this morning we spent in an area with no cell service. I was able to get a lot of pieces to a starting point and a couple ready to take some color this morning before we packed up for the road. I even varied some techniques. This is a good time to explore those “what will happen if I do this” moments.

Day 30: February 20

I had some time on my hands. We had no cell service so I went to bed early and woke up in the wee hours of the night. I had a lot of extra hours of dark to fill with creative practice.

One day’s creative practice… but I kept going.

The Cow Skull on White Ground:

I began by playing more with the idea of a textured shape. That worked well in the previous skull pieces. The textures took the paint well and added interest without me working for it. For this one I knew I wanted the skull on a white ground. But white isn’t white, is it? I like using negative space. I felt a lot of pressure by professors to fill that space unnecessarily with details. For this one I used extra textures, a little color and played with paint drips. Even though it is nowhere near precisianism, it reminds me of Georgia O’keefe. I came to it from my own direction, but I recognize I may have interests inline with her work. Started reading up on her life and work.

Acrylic (white, burnt sienna, raw umber), glass bead texture, ceramic stucco texture, cotton fabric, and Faber-Castell black ink pen.

Big Skull:

Added a layer of burnt Sienna to the cow skull shape. Let that dry before fleshing out his lights and darks and adding splatters/drips.

Acrylic paint (white, burnt sienna, and raw umber), fabric, and Faber-Castell black ink pen.

Connections:

I wanted to continue to study the acrylic colors: white, burnt Sienna and raw umber together. Decided to try a contrasting textured with ceramic cement.

Acrylic (white, black, burnt sienna, raw umber), ceramic stucco texture, and Faber-Castell black ink pen.

Leftover Paint:

I hate leaving leftover paint so I smeared it on a piece of paper. Then came back to it later and added some doodles.

Acrylic paint (white, burnt sienna, raw umber) and Faber-Castell black ink pen.

Green:

I wanted to try out some green. I hated it. I tried mixing it a few different ways. It has also become an experimental color study.

In progress. Not impressed by this green.

Day 31: February 21

I’m so tired. Today was turned on it’s head. Instead of spending the day with art at a campsite in Sequoia National Forest we drove pointedly away from there. A storm was coming. So I touched the paper tonight. Caught up my notes to the blog on the 100 Day, because there was no internet connection up there either. And now I stare at that atrocity that is the green color study. I’m not ready for THAT. I think I’ll put some color on a raven.

Day 32: February 22

I tried last night to make that green experiment into something. Everything made it worse. So I painted it black, because that’s what was in my hand. And that sparked my interest, but the previous brush strokes were to visible. I mixed in the ceramic stucco texture and let it dry overnight. This morning it struck me to make lines, of course. From this piece I think I may want to explore more.

Acrylic paint (black), ceramic stucco, white posca pen.

This morning’s second finish; another raven. Playing with different applications of texture and color combinations. I was going to polish it up more, but decided to leave the painting areas less perfect. Not usually something I’d do, but I’m leaving more room for experiments right now.

Acrylic paint (cadmium orange, white, and thalo blue), Faber-Castell black ink pen, white posca pen, and ceramic stucco.

Day 33: February 23

This morning I started in on The For Agreements… then my human pushed me out the door. Don’t know if I’ll get back to anything today or not.

Day 34: February 24

I don’t think the lines were working this morning’s piece. I’m going to paint over them later. Try something else…

Day 35: February 25

Ok I don’t hate it today. But we are going with a different color combo. Onward.

Acrylic (white, raw umber, cerulean blue), Faber-Castell black ink pen and ceramic stucco texture. In progress.
Week 5, 35/100 Days
35/100 in progress.